Every day is a new day, therefore a special day. Yet some days feel more special than others and today is a super special day. A special person is turning 23 years old, today, the 19th of June. I cannot do much since A is 6,400 km apart, but I wanted to show him that he is never forgotten. I should maybe create an app to send cakes as quick as it is to send a text message, but I have not realised yet how to create it... Oh, do not worry, I will happily eat the cake, hehe.
I have taken this recipe from Donna Hay's book: Off The Shelf. I have amended the recipe so that it is less caloric. I have substituted the sour cream for yogurt, and the chocolate glaze for fresh berries.
- 250 g. butter, room temperature
- 230 g. (or 1⅓ cups) brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 300 g. (or 2 cups) plain all-purpose flour
- 16 g. (or 1½ teaspoons) baking powder
- 35 g. (or ⅓ cup) cocoa powder
- 125 g. (or 1) yogurt
- 250 g. dark chocolate
- Some berries
- 200 ml. double cream
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until it is creamy.
3. Add the eggs one by one and beat well.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa, and add it to butter mixture.
5. Melt the chocolate using a water bath.
6. Beat the yogurt and add it to the butter mixture. Also, add the melted chocolate into the mixture.
7. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
8. Grease with some butter a 22cm cake tin, better if it is a removable one.
9. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour. Remember all ovens are different and that yours might need more or less time to bake.
10. Once baked, let it cool in the tin, otherwise, there is a high possibility that it will break.
11. Whip double cream and keep it refrigerated. This will be served with the cake.
12. Decorate with berries, icing sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate glaze, etc.
13. EAT. It served 8 people, or only one if you cannot stop eating this delicious chocolate cake.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and that you all try to make it, it is pretty quick and easy to make. And suuuper tasty :)
I wish you the happiest 23rd birthday, Ahmed! The coolest gift will arrive to you soon soon soon!